For those of you that know Trav and I really well, you're aware that we're pretty much in love with the old TV show Boy Meets World. We bought all the seasons, and we've watched them all...prooooobably about 10 times each. We quote it on the regular, so if you hear us say something that makes no sense at all, it's pretty safe to assume it's from that show (or Friends, but don't even get me started on that). For those of you that have no clue what Boy Meets World even is, get on YouTube ASAP and start watching...seriously...it will change your life.
Anyway, enough preaching about the show. A few nights ago, I was watching an episode in the later seasons, a little while after Cory and Topanga got married. The whole episode centered around them struggling with the fact that they were becoming a "boring married couple" because they sat in bed and watched documentaries all night instead of going out dancing with their friends (and, of course, their remedy was that they threw a hilariously awkward party that consisted of Twister and 80s music). At one point in the episode, I could literally envision T and I living out this same situation after we tie the knot (though if it was up to T, we'd be playing Scrabble, not Twister...probably equally as awkward). YIKES. Now, we've joked about being a boring married couple pretty much ever since we started dating, but we could get away with it because we weren't ACTUALLY married...but that's gonna change in 8 months...and we might just become the Yeager version of Cory and Topanga.
So...what's actually BAD about being a boring married couple? I mean, obviously the word "boring" is not exactly flattering...but if "boring" means going to sleep before 10pm, SIGN ME UP. We're definitely not those college kids anymore who considered 12am early, or who's Tuesday nights consisted of dancing the night away at The Hut with people from class that we kind of recognized (but not really). Nowadays, we can't sleep in past 7:30am and our bar-hoping nights have switched to Duck Dynasty TV nights with our closest friends. Don't get me wrong - we can go out, get down and party hardy, but we've figured out that that's why Friday and Saturday nights were invented. The other 5 nights have other priorities, and that's not a bad thing. As I'm sitting here thinking of other ways I can describe our "boring married couple" life, I'm realizing that I kind of LOVE it. It doesn't matter if we're watching Boy Meets World episodes on our super old school TV (I'm surprised it even can read a DVD) at home or with the Zeiers during our "BMW Night" (yes, we made it a THING), or rooting Jason on at his volleyball game, or stuffing our face with cheese fondue at Wine Cellar and gabbing with our best friends, or dancing the night away at a wedding....we ALWAYS, always have fun. We don't need drinks or a party or the early hours of the morning for that. I believe that has more to do with the people that are right there with us than anything else...and since we know those people will always be around, we'll embrace our boring married couple title with open arms. What a compliment. :)
Side note....Cory & Topanga are actually the coolest couple ever. I'll play Twister with them anyday.
By the way...Boy Meets World SEQUEL called Girl Meets World is airing sometime this year...SO. EXCITED. It follows their lives as parents...but don't panic - we won't be able to relate as well to THAT one for a while. ;)
C.

No comments:
Post a Comment