2011 was, to say the least, NUTS. I never thought my life could change so much in one year. Looking back, I can't really imagine how I did it all and still kept a little bit of sanity. Flying to Rhode Island to surprise Megan for her birthday, graduating college (!!!), quitting REI and starting work at MoFo, moving out to a new apartment, throwing Travis a (successful) surprise birthday party, celebrating one year of our relationship, paying endless amounts of bills, making so many new friends and reconnecting with old ones, running all over California, and doing it while learning how to function in the real, adult world. I have fond memories of long drives with friends, crazy family get togethers, hyper-active butterflies in my stomach the week before graduation, facing my fear of flying, wandering around lost in Providence, saying goodbye to the people I love at REI, feeling completely overwhelmed and intimidated at MoFo, falling in love with Napa, and spending time with my sister when she's home from school. Phew! Now that it's officially 2012, I can honestly say that 2011 was one of the BEST years of my life. I owe most of it to the people who were holding my hand on the scary parts of this roller coaster I'm strapped to, and those laughing with me on the highest parts. I owe a lot of my memories in 2012 to them.
I don't often make a New Years resolution, because A) it's usually generic, B) I usually never keep it, and C) my life changes so often that I want to be able to roll with the punches and adjust my goals to fit. This year, I'm taking on the same NYR as my mom does every year - to do one good deed for someone else every single day. It can be as small as opening a door for someone who needs it, or as big as knocking on someone's door to let them know they left the lights on in their car (my mother actually did this the other day, God bless her soul). I feel that it's one I'm more likely to keep.
When 2011 rolled around, I was a little anxious about everything that was supposed to happen that year. For 2012, I'm beyond excited. I have a feeling that this year is going to turn my whole world upside-down again, but I'm more prepared to take whatever life throws at me. Nothing will ever be perfect and things won't go exactly as I plan them, but maybe that's the point. This is the first year I don't have school to fall back on for stability. Nothing is expected, nothing is planned, nothing is certain - every decision I make means something. But I know that 2012 will be just as amazing as 2011, if not better. Bring it on.
If I've learned anything from 2011, it's that family, friends and faith are the three most important things a person could hold on to. Without those things, 2011 could have (and would have) rocked me harder than it needed to. I had my incredible family to support me and encourage me through every decision, accomplishment and challenge. I had amazing friends to lift me up when I was falling fast, to ground me when I was floating up into the clouds and to celebrate and cry with me through the highs and lows. Finally, I had faith. Not only in God, but in myself and my life, trusting that everything happens for a reason. I wish nothing but the same for all of the people in my life, and I plan on being for them what they were/are for me.
2012. Brand new year. Brand new changes. Brand new memories. Let's do this.
C.

I don't often make a New Years resolution, because A) it's usually generic, B) I usually never keep it, and C) my life changes so often that I want to be able to roll with the punches and adjust my goals to fit. This year, I'm taking on the same NYR as my mom does every year - to do one good deed for someone else every single day. It can be as small as opening a door for someone who needs it, or as big as knocking on someone's door to let them know they left the lights on in their car (my mother actually did this the other day, God bless her soul). I feel that it's one I'm more likely to keep.
When 2011 rolled around, I was a little anxious about everything that was supposed to happen that year. For 2012, I'm beyond excited. I have a feeling that this year is going to turn my whole world upside-down again, but I'm more prepared to take whatever life throws at me. Nothing will ever be perfect and things won't go exactly as I plan them, but maybe that's the point. This is the first year I don't have school to fall back on for stability. Nothing is expected, nothing is planned, nothing is certain - every decision I make means something. But I know that 2012 will be just as amazing as 2011, if not better. Bring it on.
If I've learned anything from 2011, it's that family, friends and faith are the three most important things a person could hold on to. Without those things, 2011 could have (and would have) rocked me harder than it needed to. I had my incredible family to support me and encourage me through every decision, accomplishment and challenge. I had amazing friends to lift me up when I was falling fast, to ground me when I was floating up into the clouds and to celebrate and cry with me through the highs and lows. Finally, I had faith. Not only in God, but in myself and my life, trusting that everything happens for a reason. I wish nothing but the same for all of the people in my life, and I plan on being for them what they were/are for me.
2012. Brand new year. Brand new changes. Brand new memories. Let's do this.
C.

No comments:
Post a Comment